at Church Stretton Dental & Implant Centre
Hygienist in Church Stretton
Dental hygiene services are important in keeping your teeth and gums healthy. Dental hygienists play a vital role in preventing the main cause of tooth loss which are mostly caused by either tooth decay or gum disease.
Poor dental hygiene can lead to some unattractive and unpleasant symptoms including bad breath, stained teeth, bleeding gums, sensitive teeth, loose teeth and receding gums.
Patients from Church Stretton, Acton Scott, Bishop’s Castle and throughout Shropshire often wonder if it really is worth seeing a dental hygienist in addition to seeing a dentist, but dental hygiene appointments can really make the difference between having healthy teeth and gums and having to endure costly dental treatments in the future.
What do hygienists at Church Stretton Dental & Implant Centre do?
The main purpose of a dental hygienist is to keep your teeth and gums healthy and to prevent gum disease and tooth decay.
A dental hygienist at our Church Stretton Dental & Implant Centre will typically:
- Give your teeth a scale and polish. This involves removing any hard deposits on your teeth called calculus, which left untreated can destroy the tooth. They will remove any stains from your teeth
- Check for any bleeding gums or a build-up of plaque which are common signs of gum disease
- Treat any mild forms of gum disease. If gum disease is left untreated it can develop into the more serious form of gum disease called periodontitis which can cause tooth loss
- Show you how to brush and floss your teeth effectively to prevent tooth decay
- Offer tips about diet and lifestyle including giving up smoking which can all have a huge impact on the health of your teeth and gums